“My breast cancer journey has been going on for nine years now”. I had to give up work two years ago, due to the cancer metastisising.
So, some financial issues were:
- Getting a termination on medical grounds from work
- Getting the insurance claim from my superfund
- Getting the insurance funds themselves released on the grounds of a terminal illness
- Applying for a Centrelink Disability Pension
- Resolving debts I no longer had capacity to repay
- Keep all medical documents
- Photocopy a pack of relevant documents
- Submit that pack to Centrelink, the superfund, and creditors
- Creditors agreed to reduce some debts when I contacted them
- I negotiated a settlement on my novated car lease
- I have prepaid my funeral costs.
- Be Uplifted has contacts for reduced prepaid funeral rates.
- I planned for other legacy issues
- Gather information and plan your steps carefully. For example, check whether any lump sum drawings from super could affect Centrelink start dates.
- Find out what resources can help you, and put your hand up.
A financial counsellor helped with debts and more:
- She did much more than I could do for myself, because she had connections and knew how to present my case
- She was able to get a number of debts waived for me, including a bank personal loan, and two creditcards.
- She checked I was aware of discounts available on my electricity and car rego etc
- She also linked me up with My Aged Care for assistance with home help
- I am preparing a notebook, which I will keep up to date
- Account numbers, passwords and details for bank accounts and insurances
- Access details for social media, such as itunes and facebook
- Lists of other ongoing bills, such as electricity, mechanic, landlord etc
- The stress and health issues are affecting my memory and energy levels
- It was good that I organised things early, because I have less energy now
- I delegate financial stuff to family members wherever possible
- I simplify my affairs so there is less to do and worry about. I hope this information is useful to others.